Everyday Minerals

Minerals In Food
The Key to Good Health


Everyday minerals are essential substances and crucial for our well-being. Ensuring proper mineral nutrition is the key to good health. Health and vitamins and minerals are all linked to a healthy lifestyle.

Everyday minerals are vital nutrients for health, and incorporating them in our diets can help fight illnesses and prevent chronic diseases besides increasing longevity and quality of life. There are two kinds of minerals: macro minerals and trace minerals.

Macro minerals are those that the body needs in larger amounts. The macro mineral group is made up of calcium, magnesium, sodium, phosphorus, potassium, chloride, and sulfur. Trace minerals are required in tiny quantities and include iron, copper, iodine, manganese, zinc, cobalt, fluoride, and selenium.

Though minerals only represent 0.3 percent of our total intake of nutrients, the significance of minerals’ nutrition for health cannot be undermined. Without these everyday minerals, we would not be able to utilize the other 99.7 percent of the food we eat.

TIP: To learn more about the importance of vitamins, read also our article Facts about Vitamins


How to Have a Healthy Diet

Everyday Minerals

To ensure good health and vitamins and minerals intake, we should be careful about how to identify minerals in dietary components.

When buying breakfast cereal, browse the nutrition label and ingredient list to identify names of everyday minerals. Food sources rich in minerals include milk, cheese, dairy products, green vegetable, eggs, seafood, and salt.

A good way to have a healthy diet is to rely on the benefits of Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Juicing for nutrition. As opposed to sodas and aerated drinks that are high on added sugar, juice contains all the nutrients, minerals, and vitamins required by the body to function at its peak. The fresher the juice you drink, the more nutrients you will derive from it.

Drinking juice has another advantage. You need to drink a lot less juice to get the equivalent amount of nutrients than are present in whole food! This works wonderfully for time-pressed individuals who find it easier to gulp down a glass of juice than eating the fruits or vegetables it is derived from.


Functions of Everyday Minerals

Minerals have varied uses, and the body relies on them for proper functioning. Some of the key functions of these important substances are:

  • Enzyme activation
    Like vitamins, minerals also function as coenzymes, helping the body to perform functions like energy production, growth, and healing. Because all enzyme activity involves minerals, they are essential to the proper utilization of vitamins and their nutrients.

  • Assisting vitamins
    Though vitamins are believed to be all important, they are literally useless for the body unless it has adequate mineral content. It is not possible to assimilate vitamins without the aid of minerals.

  • Structural function
    Minerals assist the body in proper composition of body fluids, formation of blood and bones, maintenance of a healthy nervous system, and regulation of muscle tone, including that of the cardiovascular system.

  • Fluid and electrical balance
    Minerals are essential for proper tissue fluid balance and maintaining electrical activity across cell membranes.

  • pH
    Minerals maintain the right pH for tissues and blood.

  • Catalysts
    Minerals act as catalysts for the many biological and electrical reactions within the body, muscle response, the transmission of messages and energy through the nervous system, the production of hormones, digestion, and the utilization of nutrients in foods.

Looking at their innumerable benefits and the body’s immense dependence on them for optimal well-being, we can rightly say for everyday minerals that good things come in small packages!

To Top


More on Juicing for Health:



Back from Everyday Minerals to Juicing for Health

Back from Everyday Minerals to Best Juicer Reviews & Ratings